5.12.2010

Bloglife Crisis

A few weeks ago, I gave a talk to some writers about, among other things, keeping this blog. I realized I'd been blogging for six years. Not long, really, in the greater scheme of things. But longer than all of my romantic relationships, longer than any one stint in any single educational program, longer than most of the TV shows I love (except Buffy).

I have learned a lot from blogging, and I've been grateful to have been a participant in what blogging has accomplished for poets and the literary world in that time.

Aside from my posts April of this year, I do not know that it has accomplished anything. But with my current lifestyle, daily blogging is not even something I can put on my radar. I would rather read blogs than write them.

Part of this is because I don't read enough books, because I would love to be writing about the books I read.

But other than that, I don't have much to say because I don't really do anything interesting. I go to my job; I go home. That's basically it. There is very little mental real estate left for poetry, much less for my blog, and frankly, I'd rather be watching America's Next Top Model.

So, the blog has been quiet and will likely stay quiet for a while. I'm going to spend some time examining what I can do with this blog--what I want to do. I'll feel better about it when I have some kind of goal in mind.

9 comments:

  1. I woke up one morning and deleted the blog I'd been keeping for quite a few years. It was exhilarating and felt a little like a suicide. I sort of regret it now, the way one might a suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie: Bloglife crisis! Love that notion. And now I think I understand what it is I've been going through the last few months.

    RJM: I've been debating blof suicide for a couple years now. Nice to hear how liberating it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooops: blof = blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the blogging phenomenon is changing because more people have moved to Facebook and Twitter. You don't have to sit and write a mini-essay on Facebook, but can zing off a few lines. I gave my blog a renovation and it's motivated me to blog more. Sometimes a change of scenery helps. I'm even going to post a few book reviews soon. Come back soon, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I know this isn't much. But your self-admonishment in saying that you may not have "accomplished" much is silly--committing your words for all to see is such a generous act. And I know that your blog was one of the few that made me want to say "Hi, world!" And maybe with all the justified recognition you've received as of late and hopefully more to follow, you need to turn more of your energy to your own poems...

    With affection,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, yours was one of the first po-blogs I started reading regularly, way back in the day. But the fact that I'm not even getting here to post this comment until several days after you posted the post (post-post posting) is a symptom of my own bloglife crisis, I suppose. I think Facebook and Twitter are great for the little daily updates and the "hey this is cool did you see this?" links, but for more in-depth thoughts, blogs still work, I think. Maybe if you don't think about it being a daily thing - maybe a weekly episode? Blogisode? :) That's what I'm thinking about for mine - posting on Sundays, and if I have stuff to day during the week it goes elsewhere or it gets held for the weekly blog post. Just a thought. I think you still have plenty to say, but if it feels more like a chore than a creative outlet, there's nothing wrong with taking a hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I have enjoyed your blog posts, but I find I don't read blogs that much anymore. They became overwhelming. I've just gone to my RSS feed and see some of the blogs have nearly 200 unread posts going back months. I want to blog only when I feel passionate enough to, and I want to read blog posts that are written the same way. Partly it's a function of time. I've mostly given up Twitter and Facebook too, and I shut the computer a lot. But I'm almost 60 and I want to recapture something of the life I had before the Internet, cell phones, texting, etc.

    You are always worth reading, however.

    ReplyDelete