11.05.2008

From a perspective beyond party politics

"This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African Americans and the special pride that must be theirs tonight," McCain said.

Doesn't this election have special significance for all Americans? Shouldn't we all experience "special pride" today for "doing something" that took an embarrassingly long time to accomplish...? Beyond parties, beyond platforms, beyond everything: just talking about people here.



I have yet to come across mention in the national media of California's vote to strip married gay couples of their marriage rights and to reserve marriage for heteroexual couples.

And I've been looking.

3 comments:

  1. I've been looking too. I'm of course thrilled that a candidate that I not only voted for, but believe in won, but I'm angry over the fact the news media has seemed to forget that what CA is doing is taking away rights that have already been established. I won't celebrate that we're moving ahead in this country while this is happening in CA (not even to mention the passage of FL, AZ, and AR props).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The LA Times and SF Chronicle were the best places to follow the passage of Prop 8. It makes Obama's victory bittersweet. We elect an African American to be president and then strip people of their civil and human rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were talking about Prop 8 (and the other anti-gay ballot measures elsewhere) on CNN tonight.

    ReplyDelete