10.06.2008

When In Doubt, Kill.

For the past year and a half I've been working on a novel. It started out as a short story and then I thought it was going to be a series of stories and then it turned into something else. I haven't completed a draft yet (thanks to 2007 "Year of Hell," then moving, new job, etc), partly because I got stuck. One of the characters gets immobilized sometimes, but I figured out what to do. All along, I was planning on getting her together with the other characters in the last third of the book, but I know now that's not going to happen because when it all comes together...she's going to be dead already!

It was sad to make the decision, but she really has few redeeming qualities anyway. And plus, I already eighty-sixed the only likable character in the book anyway.

This has been your "Poet Writing Prose Update" for October.

6 comments:

  1. You're so mean! She's probably down in there right now, thinking to herself, "I have free will! It's not all just some long, meaningless ride on some cosmic train track..."

    Little does she know the twisted machinations of her creator...

    Good news on the giant wad of prose! Count me as a consumer. Maribel Dixon locked me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poets writing prose rock my world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, sounds like a feel-good hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Killing characters is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you, killing off characters like a pro. Sometimes we just need to re-think and visualize again what's happening in the novel. Go you, you prose writer you.

    ReplyDelete