9.04.2008

LOCUSPOINT: Phoenix



Phoenix is an awkward commingling of the ancient and the new. Its name pays tribute to the way it was developed, built over (and using) a centuries-old canal system developed by the Hohokam people, who either vanished or abandoned their settlement there. But a sense of history like this isn't pervasive. Since 2000 its population has increased by 24%, making it now the fifth largest city in the United States and the largest state capital. The city's "historical neighborhoods" typically date back to the 1940s and 1950s, but Phoenix isn't a city of short memory; it was (and is) built by transplants and transients.

The Phoenix edition of LOCUSPOINT, edited by me, features new poems from

Aimée Baker
Sally Ball
Meghan Brinson
Jess Burnquist
Kristina Morgan
Sean Nevin

and translations from the Icelandic by Christopher Burawa.

Enjoy!

Up next: Sandra Beasley's Washington, DC.

2 comments:

  1. I liked Sean Nevin's Solomon's Tool Shed especially.

    When I visited Phoenix, it was years ago - I had just entered high school. I was there to attend an older friend's, who was like a big brother, wedding.

    The day before, while the church was empty, I played the piano - Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor. The minister yelled at me, saying I can't play evil music in his church.

    Outside I remember wide, long and straight roads, as if walked in a giant, perfect grid. I didn't know what artificial limb stores were, but they seemed numerous as 7-11's.

    That afternoon I was riding a bike. A car hit me, coming out of a shrubbery-lined driveway. Nobody said anything as I pushed my bike along streets I didn't know, with the front of my t-shit covered in blood.

    But I remember trucks, raised high in the air on giant wheels, everywhere. And shouts.

    A sudden storm that blocked out the sun, raining lightning and thick water, that vanished as quickly as it came.

    And a giant insect at the end of the hall, that hovered, buzzing loud, moving slowly toward me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Charlie!

    Let me know if I can help with any further editions. It would be a joy!

    ReplyDelete