2.12.2008

Can I Please Have "Places In Which I'm Thrilled to No Longer Live" for $1,000, Please Alex?

For the record, it has been gorgeous here. Over the weekend, I could have worn shorts.

MINNEAPOLIS - It lived up to its name: The temperature in International Falls fell to 40 below zero Monday, just a few days after the northern Minnesota town won a federal trademark making it officially the "Icebox of the Nation."

It was so cold that resident Nick McDougall couldn't get his car trunk to close after he got out his charger to kick-start his dead battery. By late morning, the temperature had risen all the way to 18 — below zero.

Story here.

I'm feeling for you, T and E.

7 comments:

  1. (laughing)--Charlie, I went outside with a wet head yesterday morning, came back inside two minutes later, and my hair had frozen! It was as crispy as if I'd dippity-dooed the hell out of it, then put ultra-hold hairspray on top.

    Still love it here, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Brooklyn, I just saw frozen vomit on the sidewalk for the first time in my life. The wind-chill factor is like 6 degrees. Eeek.

    On the other hand, last Wednesday it hit 68 in NYC and on the way to teach my class at Fashion Institute of Technology, I saw students hanging out in t-shirts and shorts and smoking (cigarettes, not their bodies).

    After spending 3 winters (and part of this one) in Phoenix, I agree with you.

    But after spending 28 winters in Miami, Gainesville and Fort Lauderdale, I have to say that Florida's got every other place beat.

    Snow coming here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minneapolis is and always will be the best. I don't mind the cold. It's good for the soul. Plus, I like the green things in the summertime and how it's not hellishly hot. Yargh. I'll take -40 over 110 any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the funny part is, 110 here feels like 85 there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm too wimpy for the cold. After being reminded about miserable winter weather when I visited my parents in NJ a couple weeks ago, I know I'll only be happy living in warm places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo! Minneapolis represent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care. I still miss Minnesota. That's International Falls, anyway. Hometown of Tammy Faye Baker. But they'd rather be known for their low temperatures than that. I sometimes dream of trading this faux, damp, soulless winter of New York City for the bright, heavy, hardy, snow-filled winter of Minneapolis. Of course I'm telling this to someone who lives in a desert.

    ReplyDelete