7.04.2007

On Baking

Friends, it is hot here.

Yesterday, a thermometer in a car read: 120 degrees. I'm not kidding you. I think it's generally between 110 and 117 every day.

When I was in Santa Barbara, it was 40 degrees cooler there. It felt like winter and the breeze gave me a chill. I wore pants every day. Sometimes a light jacket.

I can barely remember what it's like to live somewhere with weather. It hasn't rained in months. I don't remember rain, can barely think of its smell. But rain is coming; monsoon rains and thick, black thunderheads and lightning storms.

I have windows 19 feet tall to watch this now, and they look out over the freeway to the peaks.

My new apartment is perfect.

2 comments:

  1. It rained fishhooks and hammerhandles in New York last night. Even though we have weather here, I really miss the kabooming storms of the Midwest and having to run for the basement every so often.

    Barbara Kingsolver has some really good things to say about the rainy season in the Southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I wore pants everyday."

    I'm trying very hard not to be a smart alex...

    ReplyDelete