9.20.2006

Awayness



Over the last few months I have been moving away from poetry.

I'm landing nowhere in particular, although I'm still thinking about my projects-in-progress, but I think I'm in one of my annual "confused states" about what poetry means/should be/wants to be/actually is.

This happens here a lot. It's sort of like getting a bump on the head. Like, I forget how to write poems for a little while, or there's some flashy thing out in the distance that captures my attention for a while. And then I snap out of it and I come back to myself.

But now, I'm out there drifting.

What am I doing?

a. I am listening to a lot of music and playing my guitar a lot.
b. I am watching What Not to Wear almost daily.
c. I am reading fiction: The Brief History of the Dead now; Only Revolutions soon.
d. I am working a lot.
e. I am seeing my friends.
f. I am taking care of Arden.
g. I am experiencing a normal-than-usual level of anxiety and obsessive-compulsion. (which is normal for times when I'm not writing)
h. I am playing Nintendo.

I am also making significant life changes (again) and making a place in my life. Making a little room in my life. Making some travel plans.

Most of all, friends, I am feeling happy these days.

3 comments:

  1. You know, a lot of my friends and acquaintances who got their MFA's in poetry in the 70s and 80s somehow, within about a decade of graduation -- and I'm talking about people like James W. Hall or Brad Gooch who'd been fairly successful as poets (books published, academic jobs) -- started writing fiction, nonfiction and screenplays. Today many people who know these writers from their books, journalism or movies don't really know they started out as poets. I think their background in poetry really helped their writing when they went into other genres (most of which offer more earthly rewards).

    This doesn't happen to everyone. But it's something this oldtimer has noticed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm playing Nintendo too. And it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. Not the Nintendo, but not writing poems. Or, writing things other than poems. Do what makes you happy and change when that changes.

    ReplyDelete