1.23.2006

Here At Your Bedside

I was just reading Jasper Bernes's thoughtful post about The Bedside Guide to No Tell Motel today, and while I've only read through the first section of the anthology, I wanted to respond anyway.

My first response is wonderful whether the book is really "about sex" the way Jasper seems to interpret it. I think of my own two poems ("Rough Trade" and "Housewives"), both occupying the first section, which are sexual in certain ways but not, I hope, about sex. To me, they are "about" power, politics, economics, and gender. "Rough Trade" could actually be said to be more about the color blue than about sex. The word "blue" appears more times than any sexual content. "Trapdoor Fucking Exit" by Andrew Mister didn't seem to have much sex in it either, and it also didn't even seem "sexual."

I wonder, then, if the cover or the "aesthetic" of No Tell Motel colors the reception of the work in strange ways. Or, if sex is perhaps the last great metaphor for all things. It is, after all, so many things so many people...

1 comment:

  1. Exactly. My take on No Tell Motel (the website, not the book), though I'm only beginnning to know the joys of it, is its allure, at least initially, lies in just that--its allure. The title in itself, an innuendo, delightful and playful, but an innuendo all the same.

    My thoughts since stumbling on the site was that while not all poems featured are sexual in nature, there's a good chance they're going to be read that way by defautl, just given the arena they're published in. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. More exploring, more excavating, more digging to be done. Then I'll tell.

    ReplyDelete