11.15.2005

Selective Memory



Kris Sanford's MFA Thesis show, Selective Memory, will open at the Northlight Gallery on Monday, November 21st.

Kris and I have collaborated on several projects: a broadside of my poem "The Aerialists," the artist's book Stolen (with poet Matthew Heil), and a new collaborative wall installation called "Out of Context."

"Out of Context" is an audience-participation piece. A wall will be covered with small pegs and the audience is invited to choose sentence fragments and cropped photos from a bin to place in any order they choose on the wall, thereby creating their own visual-poetic collage.

The show runs from Nov 21 - Dec 6. A reception will be held on Monday, Nov 28, from 7 - 9 pm.

Much of Kris's work surrounds notions of queerness and queer identity, especially from the perspective of found or recovered histories. She is a member of the Phoenix-based Kitchenette collective. Kris was also the art editor for the most recent issue of Hayden's Ferry Review.



For more information on the Northlight Gallery, visit their webpage.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! I've become intensely interested in queer theory this semester via the wonderful professor who teaches my Henry James class, and I'm going to take his QT course in the spring. In my rare moments of free time I've been dipping into the work of Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick. She gave a lecture at the Radcliffe Institute last week on Proust, and exibited a series of really cool collage pieces inspired by 'A la recherche'--a must see if she's ever in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great; I will check out her website pronto!

    And I will reply to the questions you asked in your email. I had to write a little "artist statement" thing just this week, which has me thinking about why I am so interested in found texts.

    ReplyDelete