6.02.2005

The Joy of Blogging

With all due respect to my friends, colleagues, and mentors in the MFA program, I was thinking the other day that if I had been blogging prior to entering the program, I might have made a different decision.

And this is with the full disclosure that I loved my MFA program, loved working with the tremendous artists enrolled with me in my courses.

But blogging has been surprisingly educational for me in a way that my MFA program couldn't have been. I've been in touch with and heard about poets I never would have encountered outside the blogosphere, and I've been able to make really positive connections with other working poets around the country and, in some cases, in different countries.

Maybe I should say that blogging has been a wonderful complement to my MFA—not a replcement for or revision of, but a comfortable dovetail.

Basically, for you, this means Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. It's made me feel a little less desperate about not having the MFA, for similar reasons. (Although I'm afraid it's also made me a bit more likely to bite the bullet and do it, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Somebody shoot me quick.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Charlie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be with you on this. I would have run out of steam here in my program. I think blogging certainly fills a real need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got elidil in my eye last night.

    it burns

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, thanks for your comment on my blog...and my feelings confirm your own. I have a writing degree, which gave me a lot (both positive and negative), but as a working educator, I don't have time or energy to reach out in quite the ways I'd like. As you point out, blogging fills a need for me, too.

    And Wisconsin says hi back atchya. I'm an import to WI, and am still amazed by the cheese aisle at the local grocery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew! You just saved me thousands of dollars! Just kidding... but it's good to hear from someone "on the inside" how vital this forum can be...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like blogging saved me from the post-MFA abyss that many of my other classmates fell into. My three years between graduating and finding blogs was rather lonesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never did an MFA (but I did do med school). I have about 15 years of writing groups and occasional workshops. Blogging, I think, is a whole 'nother level; a different paradigm. Very educational (as in we are all always learning), supportive, fast-paced, and a helluva lot of fun. MFA or not, it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete