6.06.2005

Artist's Books

I'm taking an artist's book class this summer, and we just made our first real book. I love it—it's small and cute and I made it myself from scratch:







It's still blank inside. I haven't figured out how to get a poem into it, but I have an idea of what I'd like to have on the pages. But it will probably end up being a different class project.

Right now I'm working on an altered book project. It's been tough for me because I don't think of books as objects, I think of them as texts. I've had a hard time divorcing the book from its contents. I'll post pics of that when it's done, too. I mean, if it's any good.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous book. I'd love to know how to do the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stitching was the easiest part, really. You poke three holes in the center of the signature.

    Then, with waxed thread, push a needle through the central hole from the outside of the book to the inside. Leave about 1-2 inches of thread on the outside.

    Then sew from the inside to the outside of the top hole and back through the central hole from the outside to the inside.

    Finally, you go through the inside of the bottom hole and then tie a small simple knot with the 1-2 inches of thread you left outside the center hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey my glass wearing boy, I am taking a book class as well this week. Maybe we can trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great class. I love the feel of a well-made book, and the look of a beautiful one. I've never been any good at keeping a journal, because I buy these lovely blank books and then can't bring myself to ruin them with hurried or imperfect entries. Yours looks quite beautiful. Very clean and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Charlie I am worried about you, write if you need anything or if you want me to take you for a ride in my little red car down Cedar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charles: where are you? I miss your clever postings and all.

    ReplyDelete