5.17.2005

From Charlie's Kitchen: Ginger-Soy Chicken

Heat a pan over medium heat.

With a fork, poke holes in 1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to tenderize.

Place chicken in pan and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side, for a total of 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Allow pan to cool slightly.

Over medium-low heat, melt 1.5 Tb unsalted butter. When melted, add 1 Tb fresh ginger (I use the ginger paste you can get in your grocer's veggie section—it's just as good) and sautee for about a minute.

Add 2 Tb soy sauce. Sauce will thicken. If it's too thick, add a little more butter and soy sauce.

Place chicken breasts in pan and cook through, alternating sides every 1-2 minutes. It's helpful to slide the breasts around in the pan to keep the sauce from reducing too far or burning.

** You can also cook this recipe with steak, and it's also very yummy.

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe this, I was just thinking: Damn I need to try some new recipes -- I'm so sick of the same ol' same ol'. I'm printing this out and trying it on the boys this week. Thanks, Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about adding a few cloves of roasted garlic to the ginger next time, in a 1 Tb to 1 Tb ratio...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles,

    A few things to catch up on:

    1. You're in Arizona, my home and destination as of June 5th. I'll be in Mexico for much of that first week, but would love to meet you after.

    2. I love to cook. I love ginger. I don't follow instructions well, but this thing kicks, is necessary for all habitual dinner makers.

    3. Buffy. That's all I have to say. I'm on season 5 now. I think my heart is broken 3 ways: Angel, Riley, Spike. God help me for loving Spike. I'm a sucker for suckers.

    xxoo,

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, pre-welcome to Arizona! This isn't the nicest time to arrive, but you'll get through the worst and then bask in the best. We can definitely get together sometime.

    Season 5 is probably, as a whole, the best of Buffy. You will enjoy the rest of the series if you're feeling this way now, I promise. :)

    What are your favorite episodes so far...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In light of your recent posts,dreamboat of the week, etc. I was expecting a sexual double-entendre with this. As a hetero, I do find that sliding of breasts around in a pan rather suggestive...yummy!

    Joking aside, tho, thanx for the recipe. I've printed it out,and will try it very soon...you're a good influence on the world, Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing to do with cooking, just a heads-up: there's now an official Charlie Jensen look-alike at gay karaoke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian: the receipe should be read with definite sexual undertones. And: you are too kind.

    Woody: does the lookalike sing? If so, what? I'm trying to develop my own gay karaoke repertoire out here, but I don't know what to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He doesn't sing--he's deaf. But if he did, sing, he seems like the 'Midnight Train to Georgia' kind of guy.

    You, on the other hand, are a 'Toxic' kind of guy. I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete