3.18.2005

The Stick

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
The Joy of Gay Sex

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I had a recurring dream that we were dating. Nothing naughty, just really mundane stuff. We'd go shopping and be in love. It was nice.

The last book you bought is:
Making Gay History: The Half Century Fight For Lesbian & Gay Rights

The last book you read:
C. D. Wright's Cooling Time: An American Poetry Vigil

What are you currently reading?
Frank Stanford's The Singing Knives

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
I'm going with heft. If these books don't last a lifetime, perhaps I could float away on them:
The Changing Light at Sandover, James Merrill
The Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara, Frank O'Hara
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology
Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
(and my secret sixth selection, tucked into my underwear: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood--because on a desert island, you need some light erotica)

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Maria, who knows more good books than I do
Woody Loverude, my man in Amsterdam
Eduardo C. Corral, my man in Inglewood

5 comments:

  1. The Unbearable Lightness of Being is one of my favorite books. Have you seen the movie? Actually you have like three of my favorite books maybe we can go together. I will bring the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past three months, everyone has been asking me if I've seen the movie: strange. I haven't. But it's on my list.

    I prefer pinot noir. Is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles: Sandover is one of my faves as well. Have you heard of Familiar Spirits : A Memoir of James Merrill and David Jackson, by Alison Lurie? It tells a bit of the story of how Merrill and his partner David Jackson lived, and how they wrote most of Sandover together (David perhaps being the primary author of much of the last book in the trilogy). It's a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles,

    Loved your post on the line, esp. since I think I thrive on the tension between syntax, punctuation, breathing space, and line break.

    Wanted to confess: I'm just now renting all of the Buffy seasons through Netflix in order to catch up. Any episodes I should look forward to? I'm only partly through the second season.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, it's so funny that you ask me that because just today I was thinking about how my interest/obsession in Buffy might be seen by some as unhealthy. I'm happy to welcome another fan into the fold. :)

    In season 2, my favorite episodes are "Bad Eggs," "I Only Have Eyes For You," "Innocence," "Passion," and "Becoming Part 1 & 2." It's a powerful season. Season 3 is marginally better, and season 5 is exceptional. Also season 7. :)

    Keep me posted on what you think and what episodes you like. I'm currently in the midst of rewatching season 3, because I'm always in the midst of watching Buffy.

    ReplyDelete