2.02.2005

Yoga and the Burden of Peace

I've practiced yoga off and on for nearly two years now. I haven't been in a class situation since my original yoga experience, so when I got my new job, I resolved to go back to classes because I missed the collective experience of yoga.

It has been difficult. Every yoga class challenges me physically and emotionally. Bending over to touch the floor with my fingertips at the start of class is painful, but it's nothing compared to the moment when I lift my feet up off the floor in another pose and stand there on my hands.

I breathe steadily during yoga, and while I'm practicing and wishing we were already resting in corpse pose, I listen to my breath and try to keep it deep, steady, and calm.

Yoga doesn't necessarily inform or affect my writing, but it does make me feel a greater connectedness to my body. One of the questions over at Here Comes Everybody concerns how writing and the body are related. I don't know what it is. There's a comfort in the body I never knew before yoga.

3 comments:

  1. I think I know what you mean. I don't do Yoga, but I have done Chen style Tai Chi. I actually miss my classes and am thinking about signing back up. I felt so much better when I was taking those classes, and writing did seem easier, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga makes me very calmed and sort of dizzy-high afterward for the rest of the night.

    And I like feeling a little sore the next day. Like I've done something.

    Except afterward I also desperately crave Whataburger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I know exactly what you mean. I always "feel" that I have done Tai Chi. And I am always ravenously hungry afterward.

    ReplyDelete