2.01.2005

Visual Text

Last night was the opening of the Visual Text project, a collaborative effort that paired a writer and a visual artist. Each pair approached the idea of "connection" in a way that mixed their arts. Each piece had to be 8" x 8" or had to fold into 8" x 8" dimensions.

Poets, playwrights, and fiction writers worked with photographers, painters, printmakers, and letterpress artists. The results were beautiful and interesting and wonderful.

My partner and I made a series of three pieces, which aren't titled but which we affectionately refer to by their subject matter: "the Chair," "the Teapot," and "the Curtain." Each one is a dollhouse miniature (or other miniature) of the object, and the poem that goes with it represents the fantasy those objects have for themselves. We thought we were pretty brilliant about this. :)

Several writers read beautiful works at the opening--some from their project, others from unrelated pieces. I read "the Chair" and two other recent poems, "Garden" and "Lapsarian." It's amazing to me how much reading can inject life into a piece that maybe you're not so excited about anymore.

The Visual Text show runs through Friday at the Harry Wood Gallery in the Art Building at ASU.

3 comments:

  1. We're in the process of planning a similar event at our series in Hoboken NJ (www.debaun.org). Have you any advice to share with new artist pairs (who I'll be matching up in the next couple of weeks)? This is a first of this kind for us, by far the most ambitious event we've produced in our 4-year history. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. blogging is interesting.

    i feel like i am cheating on LJ right now. Its so colorfull and... easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    Our pairings were done randomly, and that seemed to work best as a form of invention in itself. We had a loose theme ("connection") that honestly seemed to impair us a little bit because we tried really hard to be literal or not-distantly-abstract about the concept.

    The only problem, it seemed, was not enough time to complete the different stages of the project. Our prints are still not completely finished (my partner and I were very ambitious). With all else going on in our lives, we could have used more time. Ah, but we probably still would have worked up until the deadline.

    ReplyDelete