12.11.2004

A Wholly Irresponsible List of the Top Ten Films of 2004

I was going to do another one of my annotated lists, but I got halfway through it and accidentally closed the window... So, instead, it's just titles and a brief rationale:

10. Kill Bill, Volume 2
Daryl Hannah as a one-eyed Salieri.

9. 13 Going on 30
Judy Greer: the next American comedic genius.

8. The Girl Next Door
It's not all Ecstasy: this film's got a heart (of gold, naturally).

7. Mean Girls
Best gay character of 2004.

6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Innovative lighting, editing, set design, and cinematography—the best in recent memory (and not done by Baz Luhrman).

5. Dawn of the Dead
Best rebuttal to George W. Bush's axiom that shopping will save America.

4. Super Size Me
You'll never eat lunch (or breakfast or dinner) in your car again. More horrific than number 5.

3. Spiderman 2
Avoids all your typical superhero cliches by earning every plot point, and painfully.

2. The Incredibles
It's not just for kids! It's freaking hilarious!

1. Garden State
An amazing debut film that will easily be The Big Chill for our generation.

Films I haven't seen yet that I think could affect this list: Bad Education, Motorcycle Diaries, Ray, Closer, The Aviator, Kinsey, P. S., Birth.

1 comment:

  1. Did you see the Machinist. It's my #1, I think.

    ReplyDelete